Thursday 23 February 2012

Nice things.

I've been offskates the last two weeks, not because of injury (although I think this is the first time I've been offskates for a non-injured reason) but because I had a bunch of grownup job things happening which involved travel (and I couldn't bring my skates). Is it weird that I think that the location of the nearest roller derby league to where I might be moving to is a relevant consideration for how desirable a job is? (Edit: it's PRIMARILY not because of injury; my right wrist, knee and shoulder are all still munted from snowboarding, but anyway...)

You see all the bits where it says "STOP"?
$5 says I wouldn't be able to stop on ANY of those
without getting hit by a car. Blech.
One thing I like about where I'm living in San Francisco is that the area is not ridiculously hilly. This is good for outdoor skating. You know how in the movies you see images of SF and it's all ridiculously hilly and steep? Well, that's not around here. Phew. There's a really *slight* incline but nothing terrible that I can tackle. I like going for walks in my neighbourhood to check out what the hilliness and the quality of the sidewalk are like (nothing like stacking on a chunk of cracked pavement and falling into oncoming traffic), and also how busy it is for vehicular and pedestrian traffic. If it looks good, I can skate that way later.

Today I explored a bit of the neighbourhood, and I can skate to the laundromat or to a really good coffee (and cake!!) shop. Yay. It's awesome to incorporate errands with wheels. Maybe I can skate to the coffee shop and get some cake on a regular basis... that's exercise, right?

I am really torn about who to support for this one.
I think I have a mild preference for Richmond, but I know
more people on the Oakland team, and they're really awsome.
Maybe I should just be unbiased and wear my VDL shirt
to their bout. And then I can buy merch for both teams. Yeah.
Anyway, this is a good week to be back on skates. There's BAD prak (which is what people here shorten "practice" to, although I'm curious as to why it is "prak" with a "k" instead of a "c") on Saturday and Sunday, and then Tuesday it's SCRD training. I'm seeing if I can do their league training as well on Monday and Wednesday as well as their bootcamp skills training on Tuesday. Haha, in theory I could do derby training 5 nights a week (and then BAD also has NSO opportunities on Thursday nights), but I think my personal and social and professional life  might object to that.

Oh! And BAD has their season opener this weekend!! Mega excited. I'd love to volunteer or NSO this, but I might wait until the next one, once I have a proper taste of what US derby leagues are capable of. Also, I've asked pretty much everyone I know in San Francisco to go to it, so I think I have some obligations not to ditch them. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.